Changes in Belize bird list during 2015
As of December 18, 2015, the unofficial Belize bird list stands at 599 species.
1. Two species were added to the list: Violet-green Swallow and MacGillivray's Warbler (see notes).
2. The genus of Roadside Hawk was changed from Buteo to Rupornis. Thus the hawk is now Rupornis magnirostris.
3. The genus of White-tailed Hawk has been changed from Buteo to Geranoaetus. Thus the hawk is now Geranoaetus albicaudaltus.
4. A second "i" was added to the species of Gray-chested Dove and it is now Leptotila cassinii.
5. The sequence of hawk species has been changed to Roadside, White-tailed, White, Gray, Broad-winged, Short-tailed, Swainson's, Zone-tailed, Red-tailed.
6. The sequence of falcons has been changed to Laughing Falcon, Barred Forest-Falcon, Collared Forest-Falcon, Crested Caracara.
7. The sequence of manakins has been changed to White-collared Manakin, Red-capped Manakin.
8. Bananaquit, saltators, grassquits, seedeaters, and Grassland Yellow-Finch are now included with tanagers and allies (Thraupidae). The sequence has been rearranged.
9. As a result of the above reassignment, Emberizidae now only includes sparrows and Common Chlorospingus in Belize. The sequence remains the same.
|Website created by Bert Frenz. Last updated December 18, 2015.|